Thursday, April 28, 2011

EXPERIENCE IN DOING MID-TERM SEMESTER | unnesenglish

PUJI ASTUTI
2201407167
ELEMENTARY READING COMPREHENSION

EXPERIENCE IN DOING MID-TERM SEMESTER TEST

The Experience I've got at mid-term semester on April, 28th.
The test was held at 7.30. The allocation time of the test is 60 minutes. The test provided article about false in reading. There are many myth believed by the students. The first myth is read every words in the text. The next myth is one reading is enough, and the last is reading has to be work.
In doing the test, firstly I feel rather dizzy because the text consists of many paragraphs and topics. But, in solving my problem, I try to read the questions first. After that, in reading comprehension item, I try to implement such kinds of reading techniques that have been learned. Firstly, I scan the text by looking for the keywords, because of the time is limit. Then when trying to answer the question, I tried to use skimming techniques, only tried to catch the writer main ideas. In vocabularies construction, I try to guess the meaning and connect it to the context. In making Outline of the text, I tried to use scanning, that only find the keywords of the text. On the last part, there were many questions relates to the text, however the question ask about opinion. In this part, making inference is the effective way answer those questions. In addition, by making inference shared my opinion and point of view. It could measure how far I understand the content of the text.
Moreover, in doing the test, there are new vocabulary items and idioms. Hence, I skipped words in the text I didn't know the meaning at all. I was also rather difficult to catch the main idea of every single paragraph so that I read it repeatedly. Therefore, to answer the question I need to read not only once to make sure my answer. On the other hand, the time allocation was so limit for me so I only read the question first then find the answer provide in the text because I was afraid if the time will over before I finished doing the test. Nevertheless I finally read the whole text because feel wonder about what was the text tell me about. It seemed interested me to read. Besides, the questions of the text also completely discussed every single paragraph. Therefore, it forced me to read the whole text. In doing reading comprehension, 60 minutes for me was not enough time, because sometimes I rather difficult to catch the main idea of the text, so it needs more time for me to understand the meaning conveyed of the text. Moreover, I felt unable to concentrate because of time limit. So I felt nervous in doing the test. Indeed, reading techniques that I have learned are very important to be implemented in reading habit to avoid time limitation. I have to deepen the techniques of my daily reading habit.

No comments:

Post a Comment