Thursday, June 9, 2011

Nick Jonas: I 'Get My Dance On' In 'Hairspray' Musical

Youngest JoBro says he's been taking salsa classes to get ready for Link Larkin role at the Hollywood Bowl.
By Jocelyn Vena


Nick Jonas
Photo: MTV News

Move over Zac Efron, there's a new Link Larkin in town! Nick Jonas is set to play the teen heartthrob (such a stretch) this summer during a limited-run engagement of "Hairspray" at the Hollywood Bowl.

Having already starred in musicals like Disney's "Camp Rock" and a production of "Les Misérables," the Jonas brother should feel at ease when he takes the stage alongside stage stars like Harvey Fierstein and Marissa Jaret Winokur (who will both assume their original Broadway roles), as well as "Glee" actor John Stamos, Drew Carey and former Disney star Corbin Bleu.

MTV News caught up with the youngest JoBro on Wednesday and he shared with us how he's prepping for the show in August. (He also dished about his other summer plans, including teaming up withQuaker Chewy Superstar Search.)

"I'm really excited about doing 'Hairspray.' When they approached me about it, I was really blessed 'cause I knew the cast would be amazing. And when I finally saw it, I was really thrilled," Nick said.

"It's a great role and I got to get my dance on a little bit, so I'm going to figure that out," he continued. "I did some salsa dancing; just went out and did some salsa dancing, which was a really fun experience and, I think, kind of got me moving a little bit. So I'm feeling a bit more comfortable than I did before and I'm excited to get out there and do the whole Link Larkin thing."

With at least two movie versions and a Broadway adaptation to draw inspiration from, Jonas' Hollywood Bowl interpretation can go anywhere.

"[The films are] very different. I watched the original many, many years ago and loved it as a musical theater fan," he said. "And doing musical theater, it's one of those things where it's a must-watch, and then when the remake came out, I was really interested in that," he said of the Efron-starring 2007 flick. "And I think they did a really good job. It's very different and definitely a modern twist, while still being in the period, but it's a great movie."

Do you think Nick will make a good Link Larkin? Tell us in the comments!

Source: http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1665464/nick-jonas-hairspray-musical.jhtml

Leslie Bega Marisa Coughlan Bar Refaeli Padma Lakshmi Bali Rodriguez

No comments:

Post a Comment