As I headed to Appleton Place in Vanderbilt's beautiful Commons area a smile crossed my face as I reflected on the previous conversation I had with a client's experience in Denver and Chicago. He is thankful to be home because, like me, he knows the back roads that circle in and around some of the most beautiful hills and estates we call Nashville. Denver and Chicago are delightful cities, but like my client, I have a special affinity for our city.
When I got to Vanderbilt I parked in my usual spot, and dropped some things off at my clients before heading over for some lunch and coffee. I came back, and I enjoyed my lunch while checking email on my Blackberry.
The time came to get to work, and I must say that I smile at that now because the work I do is important, satisfying and fun. It makes me a different man on so many levels. It's about time.
The beautiful homes I get to be in are inspirational too. I don't know why it's such a spiritual experience, but it is. Being alone most certainly adds to that, but the attractive architecture, design and decorating opens my eyes to the beauty seen in creation.
A marble bathroom greeted me today with my second stop, and even though I've been cleaning this bathroom for several years I'm never moved to yawn at the prospect to gaze upon it's beauty. I contemplate whether or not the marble came from Italy, and when I go there I visualize a picture of Italy I've seen. Obviously I have to visualize because I have yet to walk in Italy. I sometimes picture places in Brazil I've been, and I suspect the "European" villages in the large cities of Brazil are comparable.
My Vanderbilt house is only a 3 hour house, so when I'm loading my cleaning supplies into the car I love to walk through the court yard area and look at the beautiful way Vandy maintenance has manicured the lawn and courtyard. They do a splendid job. And the Vandy architecture is breath taking. If you've ever been to UVA, Vandy architecture is similar to the Charlottesville campus. Thomas Jefferson was a brilliant architecture. He designed UVA. I'm not sure who is behind all the Vanderbilt buildings.
It's a beautiful place to close out a housekeeping week.
No place is like home, hence the reason I have a picture of my office, but more significant than that is that it is my home. My friend Kristie says that you do what you can do when you can do it, and I think that's a beautiful meditation because it gives contentment in the present, but it inspires me to build upon our threshold when the blessing of funds fill my account. Ah…
I think that's why I love taking this daily tour of homes as I make them shine like diamonds. I know what it means to build a home, to make it your own and bring those you love into it. There is nothing more spiritual than that, and I make no apologies for a meaningful life in that regard.
Possibly related posts: (automatically generated)
mar.11.2010 yosemite…Art practice: "Blue Sky, Green Hills"You know, an ordinary day…


No comments:
Post a Comment