Thursday, May 5, 2011

A Time to Celebrate? | Journaling and its Role In PTSD Therapy

It's been a couple days now since we heard the news the Navy Seals had taken out the highest of high value targets. There seems to be an aching around the country to celebrate the death of the man we've been hunting since 9/11. It's been almost ten years and while I don't mourn the passing of this evil man, I have a hard time celebrating his death.

He certainly got what he deserved, but taking him out of play is not likely to bring this war to an end, nor will it do much to ease the pain felt by his victims and our vets who spent so much time hunting him down. I'll admit to being uncomfortable with the concept of celebrating anyone's death, even people who had it coming to them, but I think a more important consideration is the potential impact it could have. I remember vividly how angry I was when I saw Muslims celebrating the devastation of 9/11. The danger of such celebration is that it can become a part of the "cause" people are fighting for. What's the point in that?

Let's be grateful that our special ops heroes did their job and delivered on a promise President Bush made almost ten years ago. And then let's get back to work. We have wounded warriors to heal, we have active duty warriors that are still in harm's way, and the threats we faced a week ago are still out there despite the death of their leader. Print Email Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment