Monday, June 20, 2011

Beyonce Premieres 'Best Thing I Never Had'

Breakup tune, penned by B and Babyface, serves as second single off singer's new album, 4.
By James Dinh


Beyoncé
Photo: Getty

With "Me, Myself and I," "Irreplaceable" and even "If I Were a Boy," Beyoncé has proven that she excels at delivering top-notch pop&B, need-you-no-more-type jams. Her new single, "Best Thing I Never Had," which she co-wrote with Babyface and released on Wednesday morning (June 1), is just the latest entry in that category.

Following the eccentric dance sounds of her lead single "Run the World (Girls)," Bey takes things down a notch on this midtempo cut off her new album, 4. Reminiscent of her 2006 hit "Irreplaceable," the song has the pop star taking aim at a former lover, admitting that she no longer desires him after discovering his deceitful ways.

"I wanted you bad/ I'm so through with it/ Cuz honestly you turned out to be the best thing I never had/ You turned out to be the best thing I never had/ And I'm gon' always be the best thing you never had/ I bet it sucks to be you right now," she confidently sings on the chorus.

With its radio-friendly appeal and catchy chorus, "Best Thing I Never Had" sounds not unlike a song you'd hear during a Broadway musical. That may be because, as Beyoncé has revealed, she collaborated with the band from "Fela!" for "a couple of days" to gain inspiration from the play's subject, Nigerian musician Fela Kuti.

On the single artwork for "Best Thing I Never Had," a platinum-blond Beyoncé strikes a pose in a small bathroom. Sporting a tight-fitting dress, the pop star holds red lipstick up to a mirror after writing "King B" on it.

In addition to Babyface, it seems that the pop superstar has also collaborated recently with OneRepublic. "Just finished mix on Beyoncé song — last one to make her album, once again she blew me away vocally, this is sumthin different — hope ya like!" the band tweeted on Tuesday.

What do you think of "Best Thing I Never Had"? Share your reviews below!

Related Artists

Source: http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1664883/beyonce-premieres-best-thing-i-never-had.jhtml

Scarlett Chorvat Scarlett Johansson Selita Ebanks Shakara Ledard Shakira

No comments:

Post a Comment